Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What if us gals earn more than our guys? Read this article first.



Some things that I agree with


  • The fact that I can trust someone with all my thoughts and insecurities and know that he still loves me. The assurance of being accepted for what and who I am. The intellectual rapport we share. The giddy feeling that comes from being in love and knowing that someone out there cares about you. Is something money can't buy.

  • Why would I look down on him? I never fell in love with his wallet or with his bank balance. I fell in love with him. If I did look down upon him, I would never consider marrying him.

  • Why should respect be the result of money? I respect my boyfriend for who he is and what he means to me. Whether rich or poor, his character (and my opinion of it) does not change..

  • After listening to our parents' views and concerns, I have to admit income inequality could sow bitter seeds of contention, instead of unity and stability.

  • But whether or not it becomes an issue when the balance in earning power is tipped towards the woman is very personal to each couple.

  • It ultimately boils down to people's core beliefs about who they are and what they need to be doing to feel like a 'real' man or woman.

  • While I feel the insecurity of a man earning less than a woman is sheer stupidity on the part of mature adults, it does exist.

Note: The above is on the assumption that I will have a boyfriend who earns less than me in the future. Right now, I'm still available and single. ^_^

Ok. Now from my own thinking about this issue.

First of all, I do have a certain kind of lifestyle that I want to live by. I guess I'm raised in a high-middle class family. I remember how good times were then, when I was young. And I think that's the motivation behind why I want to be financially stable, to return to that kind of living. [basically, just buying things every weekend, going on shopping, high tea, having a good time.. and all these need money.]

I won't really mind if my boyfriend/husband earns less than me and I'm willing to support the family by contributing more [it's like progressive tax, earn more, pay more] And I would happily help him in any situation if he needs me [after all, what are friends/relatives for]

I think the main problem is how the other party looks at it? Sometimes, there are cases where the man has this 'ego' thing going on. Yea, like the need to be in-charge and the need to provide. It's more or less something built into our minds. But I believe in changes, positive changes. I believe that in a family, we all have responsibilities and our places. I think we can share our responsibilities and make compromises. If he's not comfortable with something, we can always work out solutions.

Conclusion: Communication is the KEY to a healthy and good relationship.


No comments: