Friday, February 16, 2007

Yes, sharing works 2 ways (except for the case of dative bonds)
Today, I've learnt a life lesson when I interacted with my niece. She frowned and hugged a packet of sweets close to her chest and said, 'These are mine! I'm not going to share them with you!' I laughed haughtily and told her that I've got more and if she doesn't share hers, she's not gonna get mine. (Of course, I was just kidding, trying to lure her into sharing her sweets) Then, she retorted,' Fine! I'll just eat my own sweets!'
I was thinking, how could a little girl like her be so self-centered? I wasn't like that when I was her age. Yea, she's a smart girl compared to other 4 year olds..
After a while, I took out some sweets and she was looking intently at them. I gave one to sis and took out another for her to give my niece. But sis told me to give it to my niece on my own.. Initially, she won't have it and kept moving away from me until she gave up when she knew I was sincere.
Guess what? She offered me her new packet of sweets ^_^

The moral of the story is, I shouldn't have threatened not to give her my sweets initially. It will only make her think that I was selfish too. By giving her my sweets, she would learn what sharing means..

*Do as you wish others would do unto you
既不所欲,勿施于人

No comments: